Italian Chopped Salad
Lettuce, juicy tomatoes, flavorful salami, and cubed provolone come together in a bowl bursting with Mediterranean flavors. Tossed with a zesty Italian dressing, every bite is a delightful dance of textures and tastes. Whether you serve it as a side dish or make it the star of the show, this salad is a refreshing and satisfying way to elevate your mealtime. Buon appetito!
Italian Chopped Salad
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Total Time
- 1 romaine lettuce heart
- 1 small head of radicchio
- ½ pint tri-colored cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- ½ small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup pepperoncini’s thinly sliced
- 1-15oz can chickpeas drained
- 8oz block of provolone cheese cut into 1” cubes
- ¼ lb. deli salami sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- ¾ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Start by making your salad dressing. Place all dressing ingredients in a bowl minus the olive oil and whisk really good. Once fully emulsified, slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking until everything is fully incorporated. Season with salt and pepper and whisk again. Taste for seasoning and set aside.
- Prepare your lettuce. Clean and chop your romaine lettuce and place in the bottom of a dish or bowl. Slice your radicchio in half and then shred it into 1-inch strips. Toss with the romaine lettuce.
- Prepare your toppings. Slice your tomatoes in half, thinly slice your celery, red onion, and pepperoncini’s, drain your chickpeas well, and cube your cheese into 1-inch cubes. Place all toppings on the lettuce combo and set aside.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add your sliced salami to the dry pan and allow to fry up. This will go very fast so do not walk away. After about 30-60 seconds you can flip your salami and allow the other side to fry for another 30-45 seconds. When finished and slightly brown, place on a paper towel lined dish to allow all the excess grease to drain off. Once cool enough to handle, slice the crispy salami into thin strips and set aside.
- Toss all ingredients together with the dressing. Top with the crispy fried salami. This is going to bring a good salty yet crispy texture to your dish. If you do not want to toss the entire salad, simply serve the dressing on the side.