Get ready to cut your baking time in half with this deliciously easy Strawberry Short(cut)cake recipe! This shortcut version of the classic dessert is perfect for when you’re short on time but still want to indulge in something sweet and satisfying. With a layer of fluffy cake, juicy strawberries, and whipped cream, it’s a dessert that’ll have you feeling like a baking pro in no time. So grab your mixing bowl and let’s get baking!
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Total Time
- 1 box white cake mix
- 16oz fresh strawberries
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Bunch of mint thinly sliced and for garnish
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 4 tbsp powder sugar
- Prepare your boxed cake according to the instructions on the box in a 9×13 baking pan. Once baked allow to cool completely. Pop your mixing bowl or your mixing bowl attached to your electric mixer in the fridge and allow to chill.
- While your cake is baking and cooling you can prepare your strawberries and whipped cream. Start by quartering your strawberries and placing them in a bowl. Add the lemon juice, zest, mint, sugar and toss well. Allow the strawberries to macerate.
- Remove your chilled bowl from the fridge and pour the heavy whipping cream into the bowl. Add your powdered sugar. Using a whisk attachment for your stand mixer or handheld mixer, whisk until soft peaks are formed. This could take about 4-5 minutes. You want the whipped cream stiff enough to sit on top of the cake and strawberries. Set aside.
- Once your cake is cooled, take your circle cookie cutter, and cut 8 equal cakes. You could skip this step and simply cut your cake with a knife. I like the idea of making them extra special by cutting them into perfectly sized circles.
- To assemble, place one cake on a plate. Top with a heaping spoonful of strawberries and their juices. Finally finish with the whipped cream. Garnish with some fresh mint.